Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Now that I don't have glasses all I do is sit at home and not read. I try to watch 2-3 episodes of Star Trek each day.

Did you know that at SFU in 1977 there was a residency by the Royal Shakespeare Company including Patrick Stewart and Ben Kinglsey. Why don't we constantly make a bigger deal of this? Who is our artist in residence now? FUCKING NOBODY

As for Warren Ellis, well he's probably the singlemost prolific and interesting Hard Sci-Fi comic authors in working today (Well at least mainstream-wise) best known for his series "Transmetropolitan" but now he's doing "Desolation Jones" and various other goodies including a quite good Anhillus arc with the otherwise lame Fantastic Four Unlimited. Kudos Dock on being the first person to express love, something I'd surely pin on Ian. Dock probably loves him for his philosophy/quote-laden writing, I like him because he's a crusty old british man who has some of the greatest insight in fantasy and sci-fi media being produced today. Commenting on the end of Stark Trek: Enterprise , he wrote " And so another Star Trek show descends into TV Hell. I met someone last year who'd been brought in to pitch a new Trek show: but, more than half a year down the line, I haven't heard anything else. So my suspicion is that Star Trek is gone from our screens for a comfortingly long time. And, with the final Star Wars film on the way, it seems that by the end of the year the culture will feel peculiarly cleansed. As if the shackles were released from us in our cultural basement, and we can finally take from our mouths the shattered antique underpants used as gags and wash old men's semen out of our bum crevices. ". ba ha ha.

Bases soely on the ads, I think i'd like to work at the Jack Daniels factory. Simultaneously Man's work and homoeroticly ironic.

Once I fail at whatever job I plan to take as an adult and am forced to become a teacher to get by I will spend a whole class having a debate as to whether the Holodeck's usefulness to explore memory, literature and fantasy is worthwhile when weighed against it's constant failure and how easily aliens can use it against us.

CAM

2 Comments:

Blogger Dock Currie said...

Bingo. Also, plausibly, because if you look real hard there are some fucking amazing Indie Kid references in whatever Ellis does. There is a three part chapter in TransMet called "Freeze me with your kiss"
Now, if thats not a My Bloody Valentine ("Feed me with your kiss," best pre-loveless single) reference, I don't know what is.
But yeah, his philosophical musings are always entertaining.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Dock Currie said...

btw: You forgot the ever present danger of the holodeck producing litterary superhumans.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home